Frequently Asked Questions

Can I get into university with a Essential Math course?

Yes, Essential Math plus one English 40 course will meet the general entrance requirement but may limit some options depending on area of study. Taking Pre-calculus Math keeps all doors open.

Which English course is best suited for me?

If you love Literature, choose Literary, if you prefer reading non-fiction and for information, choose Transactional. If you would like a balance of the two, choose Comprehensive.

The Comp is so big, where do I go for help?

Student Services or the General Office can help direct your ques¬tions to the right person.

What is my $20.00 student fee used for?

Student library card, student agenda book, Internet access/email account, computer lab privileges, intramural/special activities/athletic teams, student phone, and support student council activities.

How do I get a locker?

At the beginning of the school year, your homeroom teacher/advisor will issue you a locker for the cost of $7.00. A locker may be purchased at anytime after that in the general office.

What time does school start and when do I get my breaks?

Period 1 9:00 a.m. – 10:05 a.m.
Period 2 10:10 a.m. – 11:10 a.m.
Period 3 11:15 a.m. – 12:20 p.m.
Lunch 12:20 p.m. – 1:15 p.m.
Period 4 1:20 p.m. – 2:25 p.m.
Period 5 2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.

What is a major?

A major is an area of focus, either vocational or academic.

What is an elective?

Electives are non-compulsory courses. Lord Selkirk Regional offers a multitude of options to meet a variety of interests.

How many credits do I need to graduate?

To graduate with a Lord Selkirk Regional High School Diploma you are required to have 30 credits. It is the student’s responsibility to make periodic checks to ensure they are on track to graduate.

Where can I go for career counseling and post-secondary information?

Our school has three counsellors and an Aboriginal student advisor located in Student Services. Students are encouraged to make an appointment for guidance in these areas.

Where can I go to talk about personal and confidential problems?

Guidance counsellors are trained to deal with a variety of personal issues and will maintain a strict code of confidentiality.